Sunday, May 9, 2010

Dressers (Ikea/blog hack)

Hi everyone! Sorry its been so long since I've posted anything on here! I've been quite a busy girl between weddings, birthdays and getting our place to look the way we want! On that note, as most of you know I am quite the blog stalker of a few design/life blogs. They were all my inspiration to start my own. I follow a set of twin sisters blogs, one is an interior designer, Erika and the other is a stay at home Mom of 3 beautiful children, Darby. They each have totally different lives but as you get to know them through their blogs, they are a lot alike!
When I first started following Erika, she had just blogged about an Ikea hack she saw on Aubrey and Lindsay (another blog I stalk). Aubrey and Lindsay bought these plain, ugly wood dressers from Ikea, and turned them into the most amazing night stands of all time. On their Ikea hack post, i also fell in love with their bed, I searched high and low for that thing and after months of looking for it, it had been right under my nose the whole time at my "go to" store, Crate and Barrel. SO, i told myself once Adam and I bought this bed, we would duplicate the night stands.
That time has arrived my friends! Adam and I are the proud owners of the Colette bed from Crate and Barrel! We've had it for a few weeks now, and can't imagine life with out it! And as promised, we did the night stands this weekend!
Here are some pictures of the process and how they turned out, Enjoy, we certainly do!!!!!

Here is how the wood looked before . . .


then I painted the drawers while Adam stained the exterior (i've never stained in my life, now if something went wrong, I could blame it on Adam)





after 24 hours of coating and drying we put the dressers together...


I also bought these amazing knobs at Anthropologie . . . .


because these are what the Ikea ones looked like ..... YUCK


We are extremely pleased with how these turned out and how wonderful they fit in our room... here is a peek . . .








and i must applaud Adam's amazing stain job... i am so proud!


and if you are wondering, like i am sure my Mother is, "why we stained so dark?" The dresser across from our bed and the legs of our bed are dark walnut . . .






Until tomorrow, have a great Sunday evening, and Happy Mother's Day. To my Mom: You are the best Mama in the world! you're strength and passion for your children is amazing! I wouldn't be the person I am today without out you. Thank you for ALWAYS being there, no matter what.

Tomorrows posting... a product post... one you can spy somewhere in this blog post!!!
xx

No comments: